It’s been too long — you need a really good cocktail. Scratch that, three really good cocktails. It’s also been too long since you had those cocktails with a small group of strangers at a private party in a Los Angeles apartment. Wait, you’ve never done that? Now you can. Welcome to The Whaling Club, an intimate cocktail party serving up a three drink tasting menu hosted by Dan Scott, an ex-New York City bartender, and Marie Buck, his photographer fiancé.
Once a month, Dan and Marie open up their inviting West Hollywood apartment to a group of 20 people (reservations only) and serve up three sophisticated cocktails to all. Working in the kitchen, Dan starts each drink with a foundation of hand-cut ice which he sources from perfectly clear 300 pound blocks. He then crafts classic, creative and quality-centric cocktails like the Silver Barbados Fizz (aged rum, lemon, sugar, egg white, and soda), the Southside Royale (gin, lime, sugar, mint, and champagne), and the Rio Alamo (anjeo tequila, creme de cacao, and mole bitters).
Make Your Own Whaling Club Cocktail At Home:
Dan describes and shares his recipe for a Cherry Caipirita, one of the tequila cocktails I drank while at The Whaling Club.
To compliment the liquid menu, gatherings occasionally feature something small to snack on, like shucked oysters and chilled mussels dished out by Frank Anderson, the chef de cuisine of LA’s Son of a Gun restaurant.
Need to Know
How to Attend:
- Find out about The Whaling Club. ✓
- Email email@example.com requesting a spot for you (and a guest) at their next monthly gathering.
- Requests are first come, first served. So if you’re lucky, you’ll get a email confirming your spot at the next event.
- A beautiful apartment tucked away in West Hollywood.
- It may feel strange arriving at the apartment of someone you’ve never met, but don’t worry, Dan and Marie are very friendly.
- Arrive between 8 – 8:30pm.
- Suggested gratuity is $40 per person (you’d pay more at a bar for three cocktails of this quality).
- The atmosphere is casual and it’s drink at your own pace. Whenever you’re ready for cocktails number one, two, and three, Dan and Marie will hook you up.
Photo Credit: Marie Buck Photography